Friday, May 16, 2008

First Day On The Job!!

So...today was my first day on the job. The visitors center isn't open yet, so I was going through training. It kinda sucks that I don't get cell service at the center, but I think it'll be a good thing. I got trained on general Forest Service procedures and stuff like that.

The day started off good. On the drive to the center, we saw a moose. Then at lunch we watched big horn sheep climb around, and to end the day, we watched more big horn sheep crossing the road, also getting caught in a bison jam. Talking to the Forest Service staff, I found out some cool information. The Montana Bureau of Livestock takes part in what they call Bison Hazing and some of the guys with the FS (Forest Service) have also been doing this too. Bison carry Brucellosis, which is like a form of mad cow disease. When the bison leave the park, it can be passed onto free range cattle. To stop this, they get helicopters, ATV's, horseback, and 4 wheel drive vehicles and literally herd the bison back into Yellowstone. I think it's totally awesome!

Sorry I haven't had pictures up. Spencer and his family are using it because his broke and they're doing the whole tourist thing, so I'm not really taking pictures of anything at this point.

I found out some good hikes today. Also, Hebgen Lake and Quake Lake are still completely iced over. It's awesome. So is Yellowstone Lake. We saw that yesterday when Spencer and I showed his family around Old Faithful/Lake areas in the park. Got to see Charlie, who was a friend from last summer. He's now the Asst. Housekeeping Manager at the Snowlodge at Old Faithful area. It was good to see OF go off again and I finally got to eat in the OF Inn, something I didn't get to do last summer! Charlie informed me a lot more friends from last summer have returned, so I'm excited to see them and catch up.

That's pretty much it for now. I found out I can help on the fire crews this summer, which is gonna be fun. So I'm looking forward to that one.

Keep me in your prayers and ya'll shall be in mine!

1 comment:

Shane St.Esprit said...

Bro, this looks great. I'm glad all is going well for you. Rome is fun, and very intimidating at the same time. You're 8 hours behind me on time, so right now it's 4:46pm here so I doubt you're even up on a Sunday at 8:45am haha. If something cool happens here, I'll tell you and it'll be like you can predict the future. Must be one of those weird twin things. Enjoy yourself, stay outta trouble and KEEP your head clear. Ciao gatto!