Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cold and Snowy!!

First week down at the Visitors Center....and, personally, it hasn't been that exciting. The center doesn't open until Saturday, so up until this point it has mainly just been cleaning and getting things ready to open up. The weather was good for a few days, but as I sit here now at the West Yellowstone Chamber of Commerce, where I get internet, the snow is starting to fall again and they're talking about closing some of the roads in the upper elevations. But it's pretty. I never got to enjoy snow like this out here last summer. THis snows are starting to melt all over the park, but there's still many spots where the whole ground is covered in 6-8 feet of snow.

I really like most of the people I work with. There are a few older people that I don't exactly care for...but I like most of them. We've been going out to the bars and hanging out. I'm still adjusting to the time change, altitude change, and general schedule change so I've been pretty tired all week, but it's starting to get easier.

Went back to the John Sack Cabin in the Targhee National Forest in Idaho the other night. I saw some massive trout. They're spawning, so I sat and watched them jump up some waterfalls. The females were fanning their tails getting their gravel nests ready for the eggs and the males were spawning. I thought it was sooo interesting.

Seen a lot of good wildlife. Yesterday we took a hike around Refuge Point. Thats a high point of ground where people staying in the Madison Valley ran up to when the slide hit after the earthquake in 1959. The smoke jumpers from the Forest Service landed on this point and began to help people who were injured.

On this hike, we saw Sandhill Cranes. This is an animal I've never seen before. It's a big brown bird, and they mate for life. It was flying over us making it's noises and so we just sat and watched it for a while.

Thats about all! Apparently now I've got to figure out a project and stuff to do for school since this summer is my internship for credit. So this should be interesting!

Keep me in your prayers and you shall all be in mine!

No comments: